Snort mailing list archives

Newbie - log and alert - what is the difference?

From: "Jon Paterson" <JPaterson () itchannel net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:33:10 +0100

Please excuse the daft question, but can anyone explain what the actual
difference is?  I have got snort, ACID, Barnyard and Mysql working fine,
using the snort.log, but am not sure what the alert.log will give me.

Since with Barnyard you can only select snort.log or alert.log as the
input files, would one run 2 copies of barnyard?

Thanks for any advice!

Kind regards,

Jon Paterson