Snort mailing list archives

RE: disable /var/log/snort logging

From: "Joesph Bowling" <joeybowling () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 19:59:04 -0400

Delete them

From: "Nick White" <nwhite () avidbio com>
CC: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] disable /var/log/snort logging
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:48:13 -0700

You're right, the -N option turns off packet logging.  Sure it doesn't
write to the disk, but it turns off packet logging within mysql as well
- not cool.  Surely there is a way to have snort log everything to mysql
(even packet logging), without dumping data to the hard drive.  I just
can't figure out how.  I'm starting snort with -b (binary logging)
option, which takes care of it crashing after a few minutes under a
really heavy load.  Even still, logging to the disk is a total waste
because I'll never do anything with the binary logs.