Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort with DHCP

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 17:58:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) wrote:

Thanks Erek. Yes my listening interface is eth0. My intention is to
configure snort to see the traffic only on my NIC.
So by keeping "var HOME_NET $eth0-ADDRESS" in snort.conf, will it meet
my requirement?

As long as you made it "$eth0_ADDRESS".  ;-)  (see the bottom of the
message for a explanation of HOME_NET.]

What is the difference between running snort in promiscuous mode and not
in promiscuous mode?

Promisc mode will listen to "everything" on the wire (ethernet).
Granted, you may not have 'everything' sent to you, but promisc mode grabs
every packet.  On a switch, you only see traffic destined for you, so
promisc mode may/may not be of use to you.  Some OS's have issues with
promisc mode, which is why the flag exists.  There are more details, but I
won't bore you with them--Unless you ask.  ;-)

HOME_NET defines the 'area' or IP space that you want to watch.  If you
setup a burglar alarm in your house, and wanted to watch the kitchen and
the bedroom, then your HOME_NET would consist of 'kitchen, the_bedroom'.
Keep in mind that we're talking in terms of IP addresses, and that those
IP's can relate to a HUGE netblock (/8 anyone? :).  Think of it as
HOME_NET == 'stuff I want to make sure is safe.".

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams