Snort mailing list archives

Re: What NICs are people using?

From: Terence Runge <terencerunge () sbcglobal net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 11:20:06 -0700

I use Dell Optiplex GX 260's in the test lab. If you go this route and want to continue with RedHat, you will want to install RH 8, kernel 2.4.18-27.8.0. These optiplex use the full size nic, have two available slots, and one onboard nic you can use as a control port. These have held up fairly well. Regarding the dual or four port nic, I can not verify that you will be without issues.

Most recently, however, I did have success with a Dell Power Edge 2550 and an Intel dual port nic using the default drivers off the RH 8 distro.

-Terence

Gordon Cunningham wrote:

Thanks Terrence, we'll probably have to use Dell workstation-class systems
due to cost factors.  I have used Intel dual-port cards in the past, but not
under Linux.

- Gordon

"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."