Snort mailing list archives

RE: Installing Snort2.0 w/ MySQL support

From: SecurityAdmin () aspentech com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:36:09 -0400

If this is a sensor here's what I do to install it.....

install Libpcap
# cd libpcap-0.7.X
# ./configure
# make
# make install
6) Install Mysql client
# cd ..
# cd mysql-3.23.X
# ./configure --without-server
# make
# make install
7) Install snort with MySql support
# cd ..
# cd snort-x.x.x
# ./configure --with- mysql
# make
# make install
8) Create a snort subdirectory under /etc
# cd /etc
# mkdir snort
9) copy or move all the .rules files from /rules to /etc/snort
# cd /home/software/rules
# cp *.rules /etc/snort/
10) Copy the classification.config file to the root of /etc
# cp classification.config /etc/
11) Copy the snort.conf file to the root of /etc
# cp snort.conf /etc/
12) Copy the MySQL libraries file from /usr/local/lib/mysql to /usr/lib
# cd /usr/local/lib/mysql
# cp libmysqlclient.so.10 /usr/lib/

For the client side of mysql I have never changed the install path, but
possibly the libraries need to be moved per #12?

This is on FreeBSD, but it should be close. Here is a link to the entire
doc...
http://www.inetsecurity.info/modules.php?op=modload
<http://www.inetsecurity.info/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&;
sid=1> &name=News&file=article&sid=1