Snort mailing list archives

Re: False positives due to stream4 issue?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:48:42 +1200

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:30:11PM -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
At 11:50 AM 4/30/2003 +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
I've noticed that the FPs I'm getting for "SMTP From comment overflow
attempt"
look an entire mail message in one packet. ACID shows me the following:

Are you using snort 2.0? the rule in 2.0 shouldn't have fired on this. It
should also be looking for a pair of closely spaced ( ) characters after
the string of <><><><> stuff.

Hmm. You're right. I forgot I've upgraded our "template" IDS to 2.0 but
hadn't pushed it out to the one reporting the FPs...

In fact, presenting that data in that fashion is pretty much what stream4
should be doing (although I'd argue it should have flushed the data through
each time your server responded. So it should have appeared as if it were 4
packets, regardless of the actual number of IP layer packets, which could
be significantly greater).

I think I've been here before. The problem is that I'm expecting Snort to
"magically" differentiate between:

client: -> "MAIL FROM: xxxxxxxxx"
server: -> "OK"
client: -> "RCPT TO........."

and

client: -> "<ftp-data stream>"
server: -> ACK
client: -> "<ftp-data stream>"
server: -> ACK

...when in fact there is no differences between those two. What I guess I'm
talking about is the need for a whole slew of new preprocessors:
smtp_decode, tls_decode, etc.

So my problem was actually due to some issue in 1.9.1 - running
snortrules-current by the looks of it - whoops.

BTW: the rules download area needs to be updated - no explicit mention of
what rules are for Snort 2.0...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417