Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: Snort Filtering

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:30:06 -0700 (PDT)

You may want to log everything for various reasons and I would
like that luxury myself, but I would do that on a seperate box
from the IDS.

--- Michale <michale () pln cc> wrote:
Hello,

OK, it sounds like logging EVERYTHING might not be a wise
approach.
:^)

I did (and am again) using the newest RULES downloaded from
snort.org.

So, maybe the approach I am looking is to have it use THAT
ruleset,
but then put in domains and IPs that I want it to log activity
from...

Is that a similiar procedure to the one of NOT logging
specified
domains and IPs??

                   Michale

ND> Michale <michale () pln cc> wrote asking:

 I know how to make SNORT log ALL activity..

ND> This is probably not a good approach because
security-related
ND> traffic will get swamped in the noise.  If you haven't
already,
ND> I suggest you start with the ruleset shipped with the
Snort
ND> distribution.

 But can I filter out the logging based on IP or Domain
Name..

ND> Yes, but the subject is a big one and is well covered in
the
ND> manual.  If you don't have a copy, it's available at the
snort
ND> website:

ND>   http://www.snort.org

ND> Pay particular attention to what are called "pass" rules
as a
ND> means of ignoring traffic from hosts believed to be
friendly.

--

Best regards,
 Michale                            mailto:michale () pln cc

=====