Snort mailing list archives

Re: setting up a mirroring port at switch

From: smitha rao <meetsmithahv () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:56:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Shashank,
 Thanx , the information is really helpful...I was
using a IBM switch..but now i replaced it with hub..As
we are doing experimental project.. it helped me to
test snort.
 Now i am testing snort with prelude..I am using snort
as NIDS in prelude.
       Do u have any idea about the architecture of
snort, how it work?
 If u have any information plz... send me..That'll be
helpful to me.
                  Thank you
                             smitha h v

--- Shashank Bhide <shashank () biochem okstate edu>
wrote:
Hi Smitha,
      What sort of switch are you using? Is it an
Extreme/Cisco/3Com
switch? I know how to get mirroring to work on
extreme switches. Howerver,
it would not be difficult to do the same on either
3Com or Cisco. The Cisco
OS must have some configuration where you could
mirror all the ports to one.
    Also if you use snort with a subnet mask of the
whole of your subnet
you should be able to catch all of the traffic that
flows through your network.
Hope this helps.
Shashank

Shashank Bhide