Snort mailing list archives

Re: (snort_decoder): Truncated Tcp Options

From: MH <procana () insight rr com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 08:00:27 -0400

Hi Jason,

What the Truncated TCP options means is that a certain tcp option was set in the segment (identified by an option "Kind") but did not use
a corresponding length or reported an incorrect length.
For example if a maximum segment size (MSS) option, kind = 2, is used it is followed by the length of that option including that option's data (Length = 4) . This way the stack knows to look at 4 bytes total for this particular option to find the option's data.
The packet trace for an MSS of 1460 might look like this  ... 02 04 05 b4 ...

Take a look at your snort dump or a packet trace that tripped this alert and look for the offending "Kind" of option that was set. Next to that you will see what it is reporting as the length of the option. The reported length would place the data for that option beyond the allotted space to the options within the segment. Reference the parameters list here: http://www.iana.org/assignments/tcp-parameters

Clear as mud right?

You can turn this off within your snort.conf file by adding the line "config disable_tcpopt_alerts"

Hope this helps,
Mike
  _
 (  )   ASCII ribbon campaign