Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort rules flow option

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:50:35 -0400

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 03:42:11PM -0400, Michael Goodman wrote:
Could someone please explain to me the difference between
to_client and from_server?  The snort users manual describes both as
trigger on server responses from A to B.  Thanks.

It is a semantics thing.

If the rule is looking for the server attacking the client, we use the
"to_client" keyword.

If the rule is looking for responses from an attack targeted at the server,
we use the "from_server" keyword.

This is my attempt to provide a bit more context to rules.

-brian