Snort mailing list archives

tag keyword for TCP sessions

From: "Emmanuel Dardaine" <emmanuel.dardaine () smart-telecom ch>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:47:09 +0200

Hi there,

Let me first explain what I'm aiming to do with my Snort installation:
- I would like to intercept email on particular keywords (say email address
for example)
- once the email address has been identified, I would like to capture the
remaining messages (if spread over several frames) until the end.

In order to achieve this, I used the tag option, but without success. Even
if I use the direction operator (say tag:host,300,packets,src), I get all
the TCP segments in both directions. Here the rule I use:

log tcp any any -> any 25 (content:"email@ddress"; content:!"FROM\:";
content:!"RCPT TO\:"; tag:host,300,packets,src; msg:"Intercepted email";)

Shall I use the alert keyword, instead of log? Who had similar experience?
Any hint about this kind of logging?

Thanks for your help,
Emmanuel