Snort mailing list archives

Fixed My Problems with Snort 2.0.0 and MySQL Client with Redhat 9

From: Mike Chandler <mchandl12000 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

I found that if I reinstall RH 9 and let the RH
installer install httpd, mysql, php, gd,
perl-DBD_File, perl-DBD-mysql (anything perl and
anything mysql) all my problems went away.  Snort
2.0.0 runs and connects to mysql.  Acid works fine.
The only problem I seem to be having is with NetSSLeay
so my connections to webmin are not ssl connections.
That is a recognized problem with RH 9 and NetSSLeay.

I don't know why I was having so many problems with
the mysql rpm's I downloaded from mysql.com and
mysql.orst.edu, but the Redhat mysql rpms work and I'm
not sure I even want an explanation anymore.  Thanks
to all that helped.

--- "Patrick S. Harper"
<lists () internetsecurityguru com> wrote:
Thanks for the compliment, I am working on a doc for
RH9 MySQL 4 and
Snort 2, it will will be done soon but if anyone
needs the draft to test
it let me know.  I have received a many e-mails from
people that were
able to use the current doc for RH8 and get it
running well, and with
little or no trouble, that was my intention so I am
a very happy camper.
--
Patrick S. Harper | CISSP MCSE
patrick () internetsecurityguru com

"If we aren't supposed to eat
animals, why are they made
of meat?"

I am sure that RedHat 9.0 has a glitch for PHP. As
PHP wouldn't run on my
home 9.0 that was freshly installed not upgraded
like my machine at work.
PHP works fine on the upgraded machine. Very
weird....

Last night I reinstalled 8.0 version on the home
machine and tonite I am
going to install snort 2.0 on it to see if there
is a PHP problem. I don't
think there will be.

I used the guide by Patrick Harper "Snort 1.9.1,
Apache 1.3.27, PHP 4.3.1,
MySQL 3.23.55 and Acid 0.9.6b23 install on RedHat
8.0". It is a brilliant
guide. It was e-mailed to snort-users some time
ago.

I used to have RedHat 8.0 with MySQL 4.0.12 and
some
glibc. After a couple
of months I finally got Snort 1.9.1 to work and
realized there is RH9.0 and
Snort 2.0. I upgraded 8.0 to 9.0 and my Snort
still
works. And the system
shows that I still have the same  MySQL version
and
it shows glibc as 2.3.2.
I am about to try and upgrade Snort to 2.0 now.
will see what errors I
will get.