Snort mailing list archives

Re: catching traffic spikes

From: "Kenneth G. Arnold" <bkarnold () cbu edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:29:46 -0600

If you cause all the traffic to flow through a unix/linux machine, the machine will keep track of the number of tcp,udp and icmp packets passing through it but it wouldn't tell you where they are coming from. The netstat -s command would show the counters. This might help figure out the protocol of the spikes.
Ken