Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pass rule not working...

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:54:53 -0500

Actually, *does* that work for you Erek?

I seemed to have to use:
preprocessor portscan2-ignorehosts: $HOME_NET

instead of:
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $HOME_NET

when using portscan2, and that output looks pretty portscan2-ish to me.

But you are right, if that's output from a preprocessor like portscan2, I don't think pass rules will change anything. BPF is the way to go for that, or use the portscan2-ignorehosts bit. Or heck, just turn off portscan2 entirely (preferably replacing it with something else that works better like spade).

At 09:08 AM 1/23/2003 -0500, Erek Adams wrote:
> preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $HOME_NET
>
> local.rules:
> pass tcp $HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET 8001
> pass tcp $HOME_NET 8001 -> $HOME_NET any

That works for me, and should work for you.  If it doen't (the alerts are
coming from spp_portscan(2) then you might have to use a BPF filter.

snort <usual options> "not host <foo> and port 8001"