Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Rules for LOKI Daemon

From: "kevin reynolds" <kevinreynolds2525 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:02:04 +0000

I believe you are correct in that classic loki does have a dead give away. Cisco actually has two signatures for loki, "loki icmp tunneling" and "General loki icmp tunneling". While Cisco does not provide the actual signatures (dumb), they do provide a "Network Security DataBase (NSDB)" which provides some explanation of the signatures. Some descriptions are better than others, but for loki icmp tunneling, Cisco claims that it protects against the version of loki released with phrack issue 51. General loki icmp tunneling just looks for an imbalance of icmp echo replies to echo requests.

Neither of these seem to be very effective for detecting a modified version of loki, which exist in great numbers. After researching loki, it is very easy to find versions that remove the "dead give away" and encrypt the payloads.

What makes this exploit so significant is that even the most restrictive firewall configurations will still allow inbound icmp echo replies and outbound echo requests. They disable inbound echo requests to prevent an external ip from pinging your network, but anyone could send an unsolicited icmp echo reply. Even stateful firewalls will allow unsolicited icmp echo replies. The one mitigating factor is this exploit first requires some type of root compromise of the victim. But once a compromise occurs, a modified loki daemon could be installed and an attacker may have undetectable root access to the machine.

Kevin