Snort mailing list archives

Re: General Snort Help!

From: Saad Kadhi <saad () docisland org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:38:57 +0100

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:56:02PM -0500, Erek Adams wrote:
[...snip...]

In my opinion, in order of need/usefulness:

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1 The Protocols by W. Richard Stevens
     ISBN 0201633469

Network Intrusion Detection An Analyst's Handbook by  Stephen Northcutt
     ISBN 0735708681

Intrusion Signatures and Analysis by Stephen Northcutt
     ISBN 0735710635

Intrusion Detection by Rebecca G. Bace
     ISBN 1578701856
I'd add "The  practical  Intrusion  Detection  Handbook"  from  Paul  E.
Proctor. ISBN 0-13-025960-8, Prentice Hall.

though the author calls snort a "shareware", it contains a lot  of  good
information and is a good primer for the field. my fav part is Chapter 6
"Intrusion Detection Myths".

cheers.
--
Saad Kadhi -- [saad () docisland org] [saad.kadhi () hapsis fr]
[pgp keyid: 35592A6D http://pgp.mit.edu]