Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Sensors + logging to MSSQL

From: "shreerang vaidya" <shreerang () rootnetworx com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:12:55 +0530

Thank You for the response,

Let me a bit more clear about what I am trying to describe.

I am trying to / have configured snort to log on to the MSSQL server which sits on a

WIndows System .  The DB has been configured with the proper schema .

The only problem area is to get snort (residing on the Linux machine) to log data/events to

the WIndows MS SQL server.

I essentially am looking for some kind of bridge to get snort , log data to the MS SQL

server.

I guess this info should be good enough.

Let me know if you have a solution.

Cheers,
Shree.

From: Erick Mechler <emechler () techometer net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:34:38 -0800

:: I have edited the snort.conf file to enable the necessary changes to log
:: to the MSSQL server.

:: The SQL database has been configured and the necessary database had been
:: created.

:: Do i need to run/enable anything else in order to log to the SQL server?

Nope.  In very simplistic terms:

 1. Configure snort to log to MySQL
 2. Configure your DB with the proper snort DB schema
 3. Give the "snort" user (whatever you may chose to call it) permissions
    to write to the snort DB you configured in #2.
 4. Let 'er rip.

If you're asking why your setup doesn't work the way you expect, we're
going to need a bit more information to go on :)

Cheers - Erick