Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.0 IPv6 Beta.

From: Jan Hugo Prins <j.h.prins () home nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:17:40 +0100

Hello,

I have been testing the IPv6 beta of version 2.0 and I had some problems.
First of all, when I started the program with an option to define my IPv6
Home network it chocked on the subnetmask etc. It seemed that it completly
couldn't make anything of an IPv6 subnet or IPv6 interface address.

[root@cerberus src]# ./snort -i xs4all -v -h 3ffe:8280:10:490/64
Initializing Output Plugins!
ERROR: Bad CIDR block [64:64], 1 to 32 please!
Fatal Error, Quitting..

The information of the interface:
10: xs4all@NONE: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,UP> mtu 1480 qdisc noqueue
    link/sit 217.120.100.16 peer 194.109.5.241
    inet6 3ffe:8280:0:2001::147/127 scope global
    inet6 fe80::d978:6410/128 scope link

This is the external interface of my router.

If I remove the home option of the command, the following happens:

[root@cerberus src]# ./snort -i xs4all -v
Initializing Output Plugins!
Running in packet dump mode
Log directory = /var/log/snort

Initializing Network Interface xs4all
OpenPcap() device xs4all network lookup:
        xs4all: no IPv4 address assigned

        --== Initializing Snort ==--
Decoding raw data on interface xs4all

        --== Initialization Complete ==--

-*> Snort! <*-
Version 2.0.0beta-ipv6 (Build 42)
By Martin Roesch (roesch () sourcefire com, www.snort.org)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

The fact that there is no IPv4 address assigned to this interfase, is normal
for this is an IPv6 only interfase. For the rest, there is a core dump so I
don't have anything more.

Greetings,
Jan Hugo Prins