Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pass rule sometimes does not work

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:44:58 +0100

Hi,

Hess, Ben wrote:
We are using snort center v0.9.6 and I can not find where I can enter that command. Does anyone know? Or do I have to upgrade my snortcenter?

I suppose that is some kind of a configuration helper. I'm talking
about the Snort configuration file. About the order how rules are
being worked through. Snort is not like Netfilter/Iptables, where
the action is taken when a rule is hit. Default rule order is:

  Activate -> Dynamic -> Alert -> Pass -> Log

which means that the pass rules miss their purpose, because some
people never look to the manual, write some pass rules and never
notice being hacked. ;)

Have fun,

Edin_