Snort mailing list archives

How can you classify portscans in ACID uniqe alert screen...

From: "James MacKinnon" <pheonix32 () operamail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:29:00 +0800

Hi There,

The "unique alerts" web page displays alerts by classification. Port scans (detected by snort preprocessor) log into
ACID fine, but are classified as "undefined".  If a classification is unavailable, ACID classifys a scan by the number
of ports opened in 4 seconds. During long port scans this can cause a single portscan to be logged anywhere up to 20
times in the "unique alerts" screen.

To try and get around this I have created a custom rule with a classification and want this to be logged to acid when a
portscan is detected.

How can I get the preprocessor to call that rule ???

Any ideas how to do this would be appreciated.

Using modified (snort 1.87)

Thanks

Sheabo () esp co nz