Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort's Blocking Capability?

From: SRH-Lists <giermo () 333tech com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:33:59 -0600

G'Day People,

G'Day

 * As I understand, snort monitors packets as it reaches the
interface,
    but can it actually *delete* an individual packet so that
applications
    do not receive it?

Not natively, but see Hogwash[0]

And also:

 * When snort's flexresp plugin is used to send connection reset
    packages to source/destination IP, am I right in saying
this doesn't
    actually stop the packet from reaching the receiving IP on our
    network (so it is not "blocked")?

Correct, but it should stop subsequent packets in the same tcp
connection.

 * Could a setup on the hacker's machine not simply ignore
    connection reset packets anyway?

They could, but the RST is sent to both ends of the session.  If the
"hacker" tried to continue the session, the target would say: "Huh?,
this session is closed"

If I understand correctly, snort doesn't work low-level enough to
actually "block" packets from doing what they would do?  If so, are
they any plugins or external applications that can work co-operatively
with snort and stop packets from reaching applications on the host?

Again, see Hogwash[0].  It is an 'inline' modification that uses Snort
to "scrub" packets.

[0] http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/