Snort mailing list archives

AW: snort inline problems

From: Jochen Vogel <jvogel () it-sec de>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:35:13 +0100

hi jed,

-----------
How long after snort-inline starts does the seg fault happen? Is it
upon initialization, or does it take some time?
it does take some time. ca. 2min

---------------
If you leave this enabled:
preprocessor stream4: detect_scans, disable_evasion_alerts

and take out:
preprocessor stream4_reassemble
does snort-inline run ok?
this are my preprocessors with the working 1.9.0

preprocessor frag2
preprocessor stream4: detect_scans, disable_evasion_alerts
#preprocessor stream4_reassemble <--disabled
preprocessor http_decode: 80 unicode iis_alt_unicode double_encode
iis_flip_slash full_whitespace
preprocessor bo: -nobrute
preprocessor telnet_decode
preprocessor conversation: allowed_ip_protocols all, timeout 60,
max_conversations 32000

--------------
With regards to snort-inline not "doing anything":
Have you set up a -QUEUE target in iptables to make sure snort is
getting the packets, and is your iptables configuration otherwise set
up so that packets will actually go somewhere?
$IPT -A FORWARD -i $INT -o $EXT -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j
QUEUE
$IPT -A FORWARD -i $EXT -o $INT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED     -j
QUEUE

if i start snort -d -v -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -Q -i ppp0 -l $DIR/$DATE"
1.9.0 you can see incoming packets but crash with stream4_reassemble
1.9.1 you can see incoming packets but nothing goes on

---------------------
I am looking into why snort-inline 1.9.1 will not work with stream4
enabled, I have had a couple of others point this problem out to me
recently.
snortinline1.9.1 works generally not

------------------------
If you use the ip_conntrack module in iptables, it will handle
defragmentation for you, making frag2 useless.
this are my modules

ipt_MASQUERADE          2200   1  (autoclean)
ipt_state               1080  13  (autoclean)
ipt_LOG                 4184   2  (autoclean)
iptable_nat            19960   1  (autoclean) [ipt_MASQUERADE]
ip_conntrack           21244   2  (autoclean) [ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_state
iptable_nat]
iptable_filter          2412   1  (autoclean)
ip_tables              15224   7  [ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_state ipt_LOG
iptable_nat iptable_filter]
ip_queue                7420   0  (unused)

thx for help
jo