Snort mailing list archives

uses of multiple sensors - reply & follow-up question

From: "Cloppert, Michael" <Michael.Cloppert () 53 com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:52:06 -0500

(see below) I have a response and an add-on question:

We are using multiple snort sensors for the following reasons:
1) capacity - we plan on deploying 12 sensors.  one box won't be able to
handle this.
2) location - with a separate DR site and therefore separate gateway to the
Big Bad Internet, we obviously need another box here
3) redundancy.  if we have one server monitoring all of our network traffic
everywhere, and something fatal happens to that box, suddenly we go from
excellent NIDS coverage to none.

My follow-up question is this:
Does anyone have a good solution in place for multiple, physically separated
snort boxes (up to 6 is what I'm thinking)?  My options, as I see them, are
the following:

1) Configure snort to pump data to a mySQL instance on a separate system.
The problem with doing this is that if a network segment goes down (think:
DoS) then suddenly I lose all forensic data to that portion of the network.
Easy cover-up for an attack (combine DoS & exploits, run free).
2) A different instance of mySQL on each system.  Obviously this is terribly
unwieldy, especially from an analysis perspective (6 web browsers up looking
at 6 different ACID screens?  ACK!)
3) Different instance of MySQL on each sensor, and also a central mySQL
instance.  Configure snort with 2 output databases: the local mySQL instance
and the central database.  Analysts look at events via ACID from the central
database.  This fixes the problems with (1) and (2), but couldn't this get
terribly CPU-intensive?  I've heard multiple output plugins can REALLY kill
snort's capacity.
4) Different instance of MySQL on each sensor, and also a central mySQL
database.  Configure snort to output only to the local database, and on a
short schedule (say every 5 mins) pump new events to the central mySQL
database via fun scripts & such.  Analysts look at events via ACID from the
central database.  This fixes the problem in (3) but creates two more: a)
pain in the butt scripting it all up, and making sure there are no duplicate
sid/cid pairs on the central database; b) the central database, which is
what analysts will see, is only as up-to-date as my replicate schedule from
the remote sensors.

Anyone with experience in multiple-sensor environments - if you have
comments or recommendations, by all means let us know!!!

Mike Cloppert