Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscan2...

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () jsbc cc>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 22:59:11 -0800

Hrm. I've tried to use the portscan2 preprocessor, but couldn't really get it to work properly. I've gone back to the old portscan preproc.

My setup consists of a sensor host with two interfaces, one 'stealth' with no IP that's on the network outside of my firewall, and another internal. My HOME_NET is set to be my public IP network, and EXTERAL_NET is set to "any". My internal network is all RFC1918, so all public IPs are basically NATs on my firewall, and any traffic that would traverse the firewall would go to these public IPs.

Portscan2 was not alerting when scans were initiated from the outside to any of my public IPs. However, it would alert and report a scan from my public IPs when I'd do normal internet activity such as web browsing. These alerts were caused by flurries out outgoing DNS resolver packets and HTTP connects to web sites. Using the "portscan2-ignorehosts" directive would stop the outgoing false reports, as I'm sure BPFs would also. But it's not very useful if no actual incoming portscans are detected. (BTW, where are these extra directives documented ? I couldn't easily find a reference in any snort documentation to the portscan2-ignore* directives)

My portscan2 threasholds are set to the defaults in the stock snort.conf, which seemed reasonable to me.

Going back to the original portscan preproc, it worked as expected. Normal internet activity didn't trigger any scan alerts, and portscans from the outside were alerted.

I take it that portscan2 is still under development ? Sorry if this is a redundant post. Havn't followed the list very closely lately :-).

Any ideas ?

- Jim