Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort 1.9.1 message (decoded length message from rpc_decode)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:49:56 -0500

Hope you don't mind I changed the subject to something more specific, might draw attention from someone more educated on the RPC decoder who's just skimming subject lines.

This message appears to be generated by the RPC decode preprocessor, and seems to be the result of some sanity checking on the RPC packets. This would appear to mean that the RPC decoder thinks a message is trying to evade detection by sending fragments in a strange order, but would appear to be possible any time a RPC packet is fragmented and arrives out-of-order.

Someone more familiar with spp_rpc_decode.c might be able to comment in a more educated fashion, but at least I can tell you where it came from.