Snort mailing list archives

Re: uses of multiple sensors

From: "sunzi" <sunzi () mod-x co uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:32:04 -0500

Bishan,

I use multiple sensors to break up my rulesets according to the systems(s)
there protecting. I've been known to create a single node for
network-centric attacks, and others for rules directly affecting various
operating systems in the LAN.

Also, on the actual systems that I run snort (some are physically located on
critical servers) I use it to drasticly lighten the load of the sensor in
question. For example, on Web servers, I am known to run multiple instances
of snort, a primary that is only concerned about port 80, one that looks at
everythign else according to O/S, and one that I have ready to go to sniff
100% of traffic from a subnet on that machine. I also have a tendancy to use
a highly restricted ruleset and couple it with BlackIce for my Win32 Servers
to provide auto-blockage for a limited ruleset of y choosing.

It may seem kinda drastic, or even crazy, but it's flexible, and still light
on memory when tweaked well. I've been able to easily run upwards of 10
snort nodes on a production Web server that was getting well over 200
concurrant users, and has been known to get 500+.

hth,
sunzi