Snort mailing list archives

Re: Segmenting Network Parts

From: Demetri Mouratis <dmourati () cm math uiuc edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:43:57 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Jan van den Berg wrote:

Hi there,

I have a machine with 2 NICs which I want to use as the sensor. I'm
thinking of doing this by plugging this box into the switch with one NIC
with a read-only cable and/or putting the interface in "stealth" mode
(so without an IP). The other NIC I want to use for the management
Good.
<snip>
First how can I make the sensor not to sniff NIC2?

Pass the command line option -i to snort to specify you want to look at
traffic on NIC1 (eth0 or equivalent).

Or say I want to
sniff different VLANs and not the entire traffic stream how do I go
about this?
Two ways come to mind.  First way is to use network topology and
configuration.  If you only want traffic from a certain network, place
your sensor in that network.  You may be able to use the functionality of
your switch to help you as well.

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#1.8

Second way is to use snort bpf filters.

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#3.10

So how do I go about segmenting different network parts off
of the sensor?

Same as above.

Hope that helps.