Snort mailing list archives

Re: OpenPcap() error

From: Phil Wood <cpw () cynosure lanl gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:16:32 -0700

Your comments regarding snort are un-founded.

The problem appears to be on your end.  It could be problems with:

  1. your eth0 interface

  2. your routing

  3. your kernel version

  4. your understanding of IP, network addresses, cidr notation.

  5. whatever.

I don't know what the problem on your end is but, I can say that with a config
like so:

  var MY_IP 192.168.1.2/32
  var HOME_NET $MY_IP
  var EXTERNAL_NET ![$HOME_NET]

  config daemon
  config set_uid: snort
  config set_gid: snort
  config dump_payload
  config dump_chars_only
  config logdir: /var/log/snort
  config interface:eth0
  config reference_net: 192.168.1.0/24

  preprocessor frag2

  log icmp $MY_IP any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (logto: "ws1.log";)

I can run the following command:

  # snort -c my.config

Ping some place like www.snort.org (even though they don't reply):

  # ping -c 1 www.snort.org

and find a file named ws1.log in /var/log/snort.

If you are brave, grab the two attachments and put them into a directory like

  /tmp/cole

and try:

  sh my.commandline

I cannot guarantee success, because I don't know what kernel, and other
factors might be contribute to your problem.

That's all.