Snort mailing list archives

Error opening adapter

From: Chris Liechty <cliechty () uwsa edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:10:42 -0600

6.14 --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq--

Q: I am using Snort on Windows and receive an OpenPcap() error upon startup: ERROR: OpenPcap() device open: Error opening adapter What's wrong?

A: Either winpcap is not installed, or you are using an incompatible version. Try upgrading to the latest version (2.1 as of 4/11/01). It is available from http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/

Greetings all,

I've installed WinPcap 2.3 and rebooted. Then I used the Windows Installer for Snort from Silicondefense.com to install Snort (Snort1.7 with IDSCenter 1.08d) on a Windows 2000 machine.

When I click on "Test Configuration" I get the same error as reported in the FAQ. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris.