Snort mailing list archives

Re: OpenPcap() error

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:19:07 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Robert Cole wrote:

OpenPcap() errors go back years as I stated. A search on google for OpenPcap()
turned up years worth of unanswered posts to the exact error I'm talking
about.

I'll post all my info and detailed logs on this problem shortly. It's snort
1.9.1 I'm talking about but since this error goes back years it doesn't
appear to make a difference. That's why I didn't bother with a while lot the
first time. It's extensively documented through 100s of posts over the past 3
years with no answers.

But in the mean time I can start snort from the command line with params but
when I try to use the snort.conf file I get the openpcap() error.

There is an faq on snort.org but it references the windows version only.

Thank you for your reply and I'll post the requested info shortly.

I'll bet your command line is something like the following:

        snort <some options> -s <some other options>

Due to a fix that was added, then partially 'lost', -s can have a
parameter.  Going out on a limb--Change the command line so that -s is the
last parameter in the list.

        snort <all other options> -s

And you should be fine.

You might want to consider: