Snort mailing list archives

RE: Variables and Negation

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:22:57 -0600

Most web rules are written like this (copied from web-misc.rules):

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"WEB-MISC
Netscape Enterprise DOS"; content:"REVLOG / "; offset:0; depth:9;
flow:to_server,established; reference:cve,CAN-2001-0251;
reference:bugtraq,2294; classtype:web-application-attack; sid:1047;
rev:6;)

This means that the originating host *must* be from $EXTERNAL_NET.  This
*excludes* traffic from $HOME_NET *to* a web host.  If I understand what
you're trying to do, you're trying to catch traffic to port 80 on
$HOME_NET hosts that are *not* webservers, right?  If so, the
modification I offered should work.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas