Snort mailing list archives

Question about the database structure - OT?

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:18:36 -0600

I'm working on a perl script to archive the mysql database based on a
selected timeframe, and I've got a question about the signature table.

The first 398 sigs appear to be "static".  That is, each signature
number refers to a specific signature that corresponds to the "sid:"
value that you find in the rules.  However, there are another 15,000
signatures that were fed to the database by the spp_portscan2
preprocessor.  Each of these sigs is unique and has both a timestamp and
a source IP address.  This use of mixed data creates a problem when
trying to archive.

For the static tables (such as reference, sig_class, etc.) I can do the
equivalent of a SELECT * INTO OUTFILE 'some_file' FROM 'table' from the
active database and then use LOAD DATA to upload the file into the
archive database.  (This keeps the reference data such as sig_reference,
sig_class, etc. "synched" between the two databases.)  However, this one
table throws that scheme out of wack, because some of the data are
static and some are dynamic and tied to specific events.

Did I do something wrong in my setup that threw the spp_portscan2 stuff
into that table?  Or is that by design?  Is there a way to exclude
writes to the db for portscan data?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas