Snort mailing list archives

strange rule problem

From: Yonah Russ <yonah () jct ac il>
Date: 09 Mar 2003 15:58:18 +0200

Hi,

 I've been expirimenting with the ruletype directives and I'm having a
strange problem.

I'm running snort 1.9.1
here is the ruletype definition:

ruletype note
{
  type alert
  output alert_CSV: /somewhere/messages timestamp,msg,src,srcport,dst,dstport,ethsrc,ethdst
}

I'm using the rule order as follows:

config order: pass note alert log

here is my command line:

snort -U -i $INTERFACE -d -D -c /somewhere/snort.conf

here are two test rules:

note tcp any any -> any any (msg:"If this does not work what will"; classtype:attempted-recon; sid:1000000; rev:1;)
note udp 123.123.123.123/32 any -> any 161 (msg:"This should work"; classtype:not-suspicious; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

here are the problems/symptoms:
1)the first rule always logs to the file when its enabled but the second
rule won't.
2)when I change the second rule's action to pass, it passes the packets
like it should.

any ideas?
 thanks
yonah