Snort mailing list archives

Re: (spp_asn1) ASN.1 spec violation, possible overflow

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:58:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Maynard, Jeff S. wrote:

Can someone tell me what this alert means.  I cannot find any reference to
it to determine if I should be concerned.

(spp_asn1) ASN.1 spec violation, possible overflow

It means that the ASN preprocessor fired an alert.  For more indepth info
look at the code for spp_asn1.c in the <snortdir>/src/preprocessors/
directory.  There's about 60-70 lines of comments at the top that explain
what it is, and what it's attempting.

Short answer:  Something didn't match the ASN.1 specifciation.  Some
section of the data was longer than the spec allows.  1001 bytes where it
should only be 1000 or something like that.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams