Snort mailing list archives

Re: spp_rpc_decode

From: "Kenneth G. Arnold" <bkarnold () cbu edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:13:13 -0600

One of my web servers triggers the rpc alerts when it sends out information on port 32771. I don't know if it is triggering the alert every time that port is accessed but it has triggered the alert many times today:

(spp_rpc_decode) Fragmented RPC Records  425
(spp_rpc_decode) Incomplete RPC segment  374

It looks like the preprocessor simply uses port 32771 and can't differentiate between real rpc traffic and traffic that just happens to be using that port.

Ken