Snort mailing list archives

Re: Specific IP rule sets

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:44:56 -0500

1) you can get this kind of info from the text DB's at http://www.blackholes.us/

2) I don't think what you want to do is practical to do inside snort itself.. You'll have thousands and thousands of different IP-range sets to deal with to cover any reasonable set of countries. Brazil alone is 259 different ranges of IP addresses. Once you start looking at the zone data in blackholes.us you'll start realizing just how complex this is..

This MIGHT be reasonable to do with a back-end tool that parses the IP address out of an alert and does a comparison against the blackholes.us text DB's (or do a DNS lookup against a local DNS server with their zonefiles) and add lines to the logfiles to indicate that the previous alert matched a given country. But it's certainly not going to be reasonable to do this processing inside snort itself.. I'm pretty sure it's just going to be too slow if you try.