Snort mailing list archives

Re: Run an external program

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:01:43 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Bennett Todd wrote:

2003-03-05T09:39:50 Erek Adams:
I'd honestly suggest moving to a *NIX platform and alerting to
a socket.

That would worry me; wouldn't snort block on writes when the reader
is off executing some program?

Rather than using IPC to let swatch feed the program-executer
directly, go by way of a logfile; if the program-executer doesn't
always keep up (if it falls behind when it's running the external
program) that's fine, the logfile provides intrinsic buffering.

What might even be a better solution would be to write an output plugin
for BarnYard that sends alerts off to another process for <whatever>.
That would reduce the risk of blocking, handle buffering, and generally be
a clean solution for all issues involved.

Granted, I don't have a good understanding of BY and it's plugins, but I
don't think it would be too crazy to do...

Andrew?  Comments, corrections, Larting with the clue-bat?

-----
Erek Adams