Snort mailing list archives

question

From: "Jose Ramon Hernandez Macias" <jhernandez () alestra com mx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:41:28 -0600

Hi Erek and everybody,

I got two questions, hopefully some of you may help, I have been looking in
the web but I haven´t found enough info for this,

The first thing I´d like to know is:
I´m using snort and mysql to log all alerts but anyways snort is logging to
/var/log/snort/scan.log and the file
is getting bigger everyday. I would like to know if that file is gonna
rotate at some size or if there´s a way to stop the
logging to that file and just leave the mysql log process.

The second question is:
I would like to know if there´s a guide or steps I could follow to upgrade
snort?. I´ve read a lot of people are
having problems to do the upgrade to the new 1.9.1 version. I´m not a pro
with snort/linux so I wouldn´t  want to screw up
everything I´ve done in a production enviroment. In the meantime I disabled
RPC preprocessor but I think it is
important to get it working as soon as posible, that´s wahy I´d like to
upgrade snort but I don´t know where to start,
I installed it from a .tar.gz file so I don´t know if I need to uninstall
it somehow or just download the new one and
untar it overwriting the old one.

I hope someone could gimme a hand with this,

Thanks in advance,

Jose
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." --
Mark Twain

NOTA: La información de este correo es de propiedad exclusiva y
confidencial. Este mensaje es sólo para el destinatario señalado, si usted
no lo es, destrúyalo de inmediato. Ninguna información aquí contenida debe
ser entendida como dada o avalada por Alestra, sus subsidiarias o sus
empleados, salvo cuando ello expresamente se indique. Es responsabilidad de
quien recibe este correo de asegurarse que esté libre de virus, por lo
tanto ni Alestra, sus subsidiarias ni sus empleados aceptan responsabilidad
alguna.

NOTE:  The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this
message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Alestra, its
subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free,
therefore neither Alestra, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any
responsibility.