Snort mailing list archives

RE: Libnet broken on FBSD? can't compile 1.9 stable?

From: Jeff Nathan <jeff () snort org>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:17:21 -0800

Hi,

After many months observing users attempting to use libnet-1.1.x with
snort, I modified the autoconf configuration to make sure that a user
attempting to use libnet-1.1.x would be told it is incompatible with snort
and that they must use 1.0.2a.

Also, while testing libnet-1.0.2a on various platforms, I discovered that
libnet-config is broken in many environments.  FreeBSD just happened to be
the first I came across.  Many Linux distributions also ship a broken
version of libnet-config.

If you are using snort with flexresp and configure produces warnings
telling you that libnet-config is broken, DON'T PANIC!  Snort will attempt
to locate a suitable libnet header and library automatically if
libnet-config is broken.  If libnet-config is broken in your environment
and you have installed libnet using a package of some sort, it certainly
couldn't hurt to tell the package maintainer.

All of the available documentation already reflects this, but I wanted to
reiterate that the only version of libnet supported by Snort is 1.0.2a.

Thanks for using snort, snortees.

- -Jeff

- --On Saturday, March 01, 2003 08:02:39 -0500 "Scheidell () secnap com"