Snort mailing list archives

RE: Big MySQL-Database

From: "Patrice Boulanger" <pboulanger () fr externall net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:48:52 +0100

hello snort user,

you could use the mysqlhotcopy command to copy your database:

mysqlhotcopy -p=<password> --allowold snortdb SnortAcid

this command copy the database snort to a new db SnortAcid (created if
necessary). You must use --allowold because mysqlhotcopy will abort if
target already exists. You could also use --keepold (try mysqlhotcopy --help
for signification). Beware that the SnortAcid database will be lost on each
rotation.

after the hot copy, you must also delete lines from the snort database:
for example:

---------------------- (not tested !!!)

for i in "acid_ag acid_ag_alert acid_event acid_ip_cache data detail
encoding event icmphdr iphdr opt reference reference_system schema sensor
sig_class sig_reference signature tcphdr udphdr'; do
        echo "delete from $i;" | mysql -D snort -p <password>
done

put this two commands in a shell script and add a cron entry to run it every
2 days.

Hope it will help you.

Regards,