Snort mailing list archives

RE: Multiple Snort Instances

From: Demetri Mouratis <dmourati () cm math uiuc edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:30:00 -0600 (CST)

Maybe I'm being brain-dead today (please be nice) but why would someone want
to run multiple instances of snort?

I run one production instance in daemon mode and have it logging to a
remote DB.  In this case, I was on the sensor and needed to look at all
the traffic on-the-fly.  I noticed that when I started my second instance
at the command line, my daemonized instance was not logging anything to
the database and my on-the-fly session was only capturing traffic destined
for the local machine.

The workaround I implemented was to ifconfig the interface in promisc mode
then use the -p option to snort to tell it to leave the interface alone.
This way, multiple snort instances can see all the traffic.

HTH.