Snort mailing list archives

Alerts, Logged and Passed

From: Clayton Mascasrenhas <masclaythesnort () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:51:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

After I run snort... a summary shows up saying Alerts = 6 , Logged = 6, Passed = 0. When I open my alert file that is
generated I see 6 alerts there. Then for another data file when I run snort I get Alerts = 4 , Logged = 0, Passed = 0.
Now when I open my alert file I see 4 alerts inspite of them telling me Logged = 0. So what does that mean??.. that
"Logged" word.. does it represent anything?? Sometimes I get Alert = 8 and Logged = 14... here they say a number
greater than that alerted... which throws me completely off. Now I am really confused. I did read Marty's article at
http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/logging_methods.txt but I still am not so clear. Please can someone help me
out here.

I also noticed that when in the summary they say Alerts = some number X and Logged = some number Y which is not equal
to X ... then the scan file generated has something in it.... otherwise there is nothing in it. What is this scan
file?? Does it have anything to do with the Logged and Alert things. Please could someone help me out and clarify this
for me.
Regards
Clayton Mascarenhas