Snort mailing list archives

Snort signautures

From: SUDAGER BILKHU <bilkhus () coventry ac uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:43:08 +0000

Hi all,

I have recently set up Snort as part of my final year project at
University.  I have configured Snort to monitor traffic between 4
computers, to demonstarte how Snort detects unauthorised traffic.

My first question is, where can I find documentation on determining what
the signatures I receive mean?

Secondly are there a number of commands that I should use to tell Snort
to start monitoring?  How do I perform a port scan?

Thirdly I downloaded a front end for my Snort system.  The file is
called idscenter.zip.  It was downloaded from the download section on
snort.org, in the add ons section under front ends.  There is no
documentation with this.  Does anybody use such a system and if so do
they know where I can get documentation.

I would really appreciate any kind of feedback.  I am at the moment only
a novice but have been reading a lot about Snort and want to find out
more.

Thanks for your time

Chris