Snort mailing list archives

Re: How's best to alert on Web connections that *don't* contain particular content?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:53:28 +1300

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:26:37PM -0500, Martin Roesch wrote:
Do you just want to look for outbound SYN packets from your DMZ?  Seems
like that might do a nice job of picking up a system that gets
compromised.

Yup: that's the idea :-)

Additionally, if you only have a few server ports you can
just write a set of pass rules to ignore traffic on the ports that you
know will be used.

Yup to that too: I'm basically doing:

alert tcp $TRIMBLE_DMZES_NETS any -> !$VALID_REMOTE_NETWORKS :24
alert tcp $TRIMBLE_DMZES_NETS any -> !$VALID_REMOTE_NETWORKS 26:79
alert tcp $TRIMBLE_DMZES_NETS any -> !$VALID_REMOTE_NETWORKS 80
alert tcp $TRIMBLE_DMZES_NETS any -> !$VALID_REMOTE_NETWORKS 81:1023
alert tcp $TRIMBLE_DMZES_NETS !20 -> !$VALID_REMOTE_NETWORKS 1024:

i.e. ignore SMTP and treat Web special - that's the one where I need to
allow outgoing Trend HTTP commands, but alert on anything else (not to a
valid remote network - like redhat.com/windowsupdate/etc).

I think I've got it sussed now. Changing from the broken regex to distance:
has done the trick, I don't get any alerts unless I manually make one of the
DMZ hosts do something it shouldn't :-)

This sort of thing has a future I feel. Instead of all the HUGE number of
alerts any IDS will give you, this allows you to see the successful ones.
I'm setting swatch up to page me on these rules only - although I don't
expect to be woken up :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417