Snort mailing list archives

Re: stream4 performance problems

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:13:51 +0100

Hello Marty,

An Athlon XP 2000+ and 512MB RAM. IBM HD 7200RPM,
Gbit Intel NIC...

I were doing some tests with Nessus expermenting with
NIDS evasion techniques. "Split" seems to be no
problem for Snort but with "injection" I had to
disable stateful inspection in order to achieve
better performance.

If I do that, Snort is having no problems up
to 130Mbit/sec. I could not test it faster,
because tcpreplay seems not to be able to send
the packets faster than that. I don't know if that
is a libnet or tcpreplay restriction.

It wonders me indeed, because I thought that
especially against such evasion techniques
the stateful inspection should be used.

Kind regards,

Edin

Martin Roesch wrote:
What hardware/OS are you running on? Sounds like it's fairly modest if it's having a tough time with 10Mbps...

     -Marty