Snort mailing list archives

Re: Advice from the experts

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:34:35 -0800 (PST)

One thing I would like to do to facilitate this type of
investigation is use tcpdump to constantly snag all traffic off
the wire and archive it, but in an ISP environment this is a
tough one to sell (and do).  This allows post-mortem on alarms
using data before *and* after the suspected intrusion happened.
Also it's nice to have uncut data to run filters against at your
whim.

Don't thank me for that wisdom, I stole it from Stephen
Northcutt in his "network intrusion detection" book.

--- Mike Koponick <mike () redhawk info> wrote:
Hello,

We have been having a discussion around our office about
attacks, and how to
keep track of them. I thought this would be a good place to
bring up a
couple of issues regarding attacks and attackers since all
that post seem to
have a good handle on this subject.

We mainly having been discussing how to keep track of attacks
that occur
over a period of time. For instance, an attacker could spoof a
source IP
address, and "test" the system for vulnerabilities, then a
month later test
it another way. This is the same way the military tests it's
enemies during
war time. It would make sense if the attacker was patient to
do it in this
manner, as it would be harder to trace. I suppose the bottom
line would be
that when you see an attacker, catch him/her with their hand
in the cookie
jar and use that as evidence.

Currently, our policy for security log files is to keep them
for a year at a
time. In other words, we archive the logs daily, and keep the
archives for a
year. Does this sound like a good practice, since it might be
possible to
parse through these files for a history (after the fact
attack)?

What other practices are being used?.. it might be a good
discussion for
all.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Mike