Snort mailing list archives

Re: Packet query

From: honey grp <honeypict () yahoo co in>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:01:09 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Ashley,
  i am from  pune. i am not asking what u see. my
query is - Where is the user data type Packet defined.
is it defined in any library which Snort uses. if u
see the code of snort, u will see statements like -
Packet *p;

i just want to see the diffrent fields of Packet.
Now, i think my question is quite clear.
Please reply,
Regards,
Sweta
 --- Ashley Thomas <athomas () cc gatech edu> wrote: > Hi
Sweta,

I am also from India :)

So what are you guys trying to do ? The question
seems a bit vague.
What do you mean by 'user data type' packet ?

If what I understood is what you are asking, the
different types of
packets can be found from various fields of the
packets.

For e.g
- by looking at the protocol field of an ip header,
you understand what
is the transport layer
   protocl used by the packet ( if any)

- by looking at the port number of tcp or udp
header, you understand
which application is the
   packet bound for.
   for e.g. port 80 means it is going to be http
related stuff.

cheers,
Ashley

honey grp wrote:

Hi,
  We r group of five working on Snort and
honeypots.
We want to know where is the user data type Packet
defined? is it inbuilt?
Please reply,
Sweta

--