Snort mailing list archives

Re: optimize MYSQL + ACID

From: Erick Mechler <emechler () techometer net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:47:12 -0800

:: I have seen a lot of traffic on this mailing list about creating
:: additional indexes to speed up ACID et. al.  The problem is I cannot
:: find out what syntax to use to create the indexes.
::
:: I know about the need to create an index for tcphdr.tcp_sport,
:: tcphdr.tcp_dport and acid_ag_alert.ag_sid + acid_ag_alert.ag_cid.   What
:: is the command line to do it?

Pete, please see the message I posted earlier today regarding
optimizations.  These indexes aren't needed if you're running a recent
version of the DB schemas.  Despite what the ACID FAQ says, these indexes
*are* created for you on install.  Also note, the second index (for
acid_ag_alert) is only useful if you use alert groups.  If you don't, this
index will matter not.

You can verify that these indexes are created on a given table by running,
for example, the following command:

  SHOW INDEX FROM tcphdr;

On a standard snort install, you should see several indexes listed,
including ones for tcp_sport and tcp_dport already.

Cheers - Erick