Snort mailing list archives

Re: Horsepower

From: James Hoagland <jim () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:08:00 -0800

At 7:50 AM -0800 2/19/03, Snow Jacob C KPWA wrote:
Curious as to which would need more horsepower in a multiple sensor -> central DB configuration? My guess would be the central DB since the others are just kind of dumb sensors feeding the info to the central DB, but thought I would pose the question to the group.

Jacob,

Quite likely the central DB. I speculate that it might go the other way only if most of the following are strongly true:
  1) the sensors are tuned to produce very few alerts
  2) there aren't that many sensors
  3) the traffic monitored by the sensors is high
  4) there isn't much query type interaction with the central database

Hope this helps,

  Jim
--
|*     Jim Hoagland, Associate Researcher, Silicon Defense     *|
|*    --- Silicon Defense: The Cyberwar Defense Company ---    *|