Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] Scan on tcp 13000

From: Michael Scheidell <scheidell () secnap net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:53:59 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone else seen any tcp scans with both source and destination ports of
13000, SYN flag set, and a sequence ID of 674711609? My sensors are catching
it as a Shaft synflood because of the sequence ID, but the traffic pattern
is more like a sweep - single source, 1 packet each to 119 sequential
destinations. No other traffic from this source, I can't find any info on
tcp 13000. I'm ready to write it off as a very strange (and singularly
unproductive) tcp ping sweep, but thought I should check with the
community-at-large first....

Yep, coming out of columbia.edu.
Called them and sent logs earlier today
(symantec: take note.. we saw it first)

see:
http://www.mynetwatchman.com/LID.asp?IID=22029380
funny ting, on the security section of their web site them mention that
they had their web site defaced and users redurected towards a porn site
yesterday.
I called them up, thinking that they might have staff on duty.. noop,
nothing, all phone lines, help desk, security phones have ' thank you for
calling when we are all home', press 0 for operator, nothing.

What source ip addresses are you seeing?

--
Michael Scheidell, CEO
SECNAP Network Security, LLC